I was abducted by reality!

Well, I had all but forgotten about this blog when I finally realized that I honestly have far too much to talk about, so much in fact that Facebook can't handle me, and my friends keep missing out of the good stuff. So here I am again, but this time... the stories will be more recent, with a splash of the funny things I recall and experienced over time. 

Without further ado.... a few bits that happened between yesterday and today.

__________________________________________________________________

I don't like to cook, and I don't hate to cook either. It is a mood thing, entirely. If the mood strikes, I will be up at 3am baking or cooking something that takes me 4 or 5 hours to make - just because I'm weird like that. Other times, I decide I'm tired of what we've been eating for dinner for the past two months and it's time for the menu to get a little flare. (Literally sometimes...)

Last night we had hamburgers. We like sweet potatoes, and so I thought, hmm.. I need to make sweet potato fries. So I looked up recipes and found one that did pretty good with simple directions. (By the way... I figured out that there is zero difference between a sweet potato and a yam... except one is how the Northerners say it, and one is how the Southerners say it - Americans that is.) So, I proceed to chop my taters up into quarter inch lengths and then placed them into ice cold water for 15 minutes. I heated up my oil, and while I normally bake everything, I decided this time I'd try fried. Big mistake....


The first spoon full of taters I pulled from the water (and drained/dabbed with a paper towel) were apparently TOO cold. The second they hit the oil, the oil sprung to life in a violent rolling, bubbling mess. I cook on open flame. You can kind of figure what happened next. But I'll describe it anyway.....

*I jump back... *

"OHHHH!!! CRAP!!! FIRE!!! FIRE!! HONEY... THE STOVE IS ON FIRE!! GET THE EXTINGUISHER!!"

*Picks up pot holder and beats the stove like if I wave something around at the fire, it'll get scared and go away.*


*Husband scrambles around the corner. By this time the fire went out*

"Flipping crackers on a stick!!! That was crazy! I almost burned my eyebrows off. I think my arm hairs are...." *sniffs arm*  "yep... I singed my arm hairs.. gah.. that stinks!"

*House fills with smoke*

Hubby: "Does this mean dinner is done now?"

Me: *Gives evil eye*

So... yeah.. I won't be making sweet potato fries like THAT anymore. LOL! However, I did finish the batch and everyone loved them. Oh, and no damage was done from the small stove fire, so that was even better.

While my cooking adventure, today, went well - it was while I was cooking that I overheard my 13 yr old son, Nathaniel, chatting with a friend over voice chat in a game he was playing. It went like this...

Nate: "Ok, is 7pm tomorrow good for you? We'll make the run through there then, if you want."

Friend: "Yeah man.. sounds good. OK, I've gotta go. I gotta go kick an elf. See ya."

Nate: "OK man..." *moment of silence...*  "Wait... what? What did you say? Hey? You still there?"

Meanwhile I am still listening and at that moment I poked my head around the corner..

"Did he say he was going to kick an elf?"

Nate: "I don't think he really said that, but it sounded like it. I wonder what the elf did to deserve getting kicked for?"

LOL!! We'll have to wait until tomorrow to find out what his friend really said, I suppose. In the mean time, let's hope no elves were harmed. LOL!

Until next time.....

No Response to "I was abducted by reality!"

Post a Comment